Thursday, May 01, 2008

Time for Tango Rehab??


On the night of my usual milonga I am leaving the house for the airport to pick up friends from out of town coming to visit me. After a few seconds of hesitation, I run back and throw a pair of CiFs in my bag. Just in case.
Ok, wait! In case of what??? The plane having a three hour delay so that I can go dance a little?! I start realizing, for a thousandth time, how irrational this is. Have we gone too far? Is this normal?!

I dream about tango several times a week. I suffer withdrawal if I don't dance for a couple of days. I hear tango music in my head most of the time. I have 30GB of music on my ipod, but end up listening to about a hundred songs 90% of the time (yes, tango). When I hear tango music unexpectedly my heart skips a beat. No, several beats. On the way to a milonga I am more excited with anticipation than when going to a first date. I cross as I stop at a traffic light. I cannot even walk after hours of dancing, but I can surely do another tanda. I would (and do) cancel any other plans to dance. I get by on 5 hours of sleep on a regular basis. I pity people who have not experienced all this.

Even if normal for a beginner who is still in the tango honeymoon bliss, for me this has been reality for about a year and a half. Relentlessly.

Is it time for a Tango Rehab? Or should we just be left to our obsession? Has life ever had more colors...

6 comments:

ModernTanguera said...

No, no rehab! I feel the same after over a year of tango, and as people suggested on my blog I think we should embrace the feeling!

I love this entry, because it's a perfect description of how I feel. (Even down to the moment of running back inside for my shoes, just in case!)

NYC Tango Pilgrim said...

M,

Good spot for rehab. Tangocamp at Greece. Cheapest airfare: $950 Air France. One Stop: Paris.

Now that's a rehab.

:_)

Anonymous said...

I still have a pair of shoes in my car. "just in case".

I watch how people walk in the street, knowing I can spot a tanguer@.

I fantasize about dancing in parking lots.

A week does not go by when I don't dream of Tango.

I've been dancing tango for over 10 years...

Malena said...

Hi Johanna, it sounds incurable... Well, I had a feeling ...
Tangocamp Greece, TP?! Yeah, true rehab! At Tangocamp Rome last year, truth be told, there wasn't one, NOT ONE, tangoless moment... One does indeed need help coping after coming back - I was miserable for a good two weeks.
Dear Moderntanguera, I am glad to know there are many of us! Makes me smile that someone understands...
Besos to all! M

tangobaby said...

TangoCamp Greece with a stop in Paris??!!! Goodness gracious, sign me up.

Although we all know that none of us would actually SEE Greece.

;-)

Malena said...

No, we wouldn't. Good thing I had been to Rome before last summer, because I didn't leave the hotel complex (true it was in the outskirts of Rome, but still...)

But really I think we should all try to go to one of the Tangocamps next summer (I seems it's too late for us ladies to register this year).