Monday, June 25, 2007

Drug Pushers


Ok... so you've watched too many episodes of Dancing with the Stars. You've been seduced by the sexy images... so much so that you can no longer hide your secret desire to be one of those dancing divas. So you search online for the closest dance school and sign up for one of those "introductory offers", which includes a 30 minute private lesson. You're nervous... you're a tango virgin. There he is... strolls in with that unmistakably smooth tango walk ... he smiles and takes you in his embrace and whispers "Let's just dance, shall we?... I want you to feel..." I will always trace the obsession back to that very moment. Never danced a step of tango in my life... and there I was responding to his every lead... I was his puppet and he's pulling all the strings... miraculously moving my feet. So You catch yourself dancing in the mirror and can't hardly recognize yourself. "Is that me?" "Are those my feet?" He tells you..."You are such a natural!"... "Are you sure you've never danced before??"... "You definitely have what it takes!"... and "You're going to be one hot tango dancer!"
By that point... you are so high, you've forgotten your name. You are now Lola ...the smoking, sexy, gorgeous tanguera extraordinaire. The lesson ends with you still in a tango haze. Aha! he knows he's got you.... because he's now holding the appt book and class schedule in his hand. Warning: Tango is a drug and tango teachers are the drug pushers. Now that you've had a taste of it... you want, no you NEED more of it. All the reservations you had about spending money on dance lessons goes out the window. All I can remember thinking was...."here, take my money... take it, take it all!!!... just give me my tango!" A star is born... or so you hope because you've just taken a chunk out of your savings signing up for their "Introductory Package" with the whole sha-bang... private lessons, group classes.... oh and those dance socials you use to make fun of because you once thought only your parents would go to.
Yep... tango is fun, go for it! Just remember once you step into that room with the "drug pusher"... there's no turning back.
Tango is one costly addiction!

No comments: