Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Buenos Aires - Day 6


We got up late today. We were hungry and wanted something good, so we went to Novecento in our hood. It was nice to have good Italian for a change. Unfortunately, we were running late for our tango lesson and had to inhale our food. Malena wanted to hit a mall to do some shopping before we leave BsAs, so we decided to go to the Alto Palermo mall. We were tired and cranky and didn’t find anything worth buying. How do the portenos afford these prices??? We left and went straight to our local patisserie for some cafĂ© con leche and sandwiches. We also picked up a good selection of cakes and alfahores to go with our champagne. We rushed back to the apt for our massages. Sebastian was an hour late today because.... he forgot. I was annoyed but was glad he did show up…hoping he would iron out our crankiness. He started to tell us in Spanish … something about his job with a priest and an architect. Trying to sound like I actually understood what he was saying, "Ahhh... you massaged a minister and an architect? You must be mucho cansado!" He gave me a puzzled look then started waving his hands, "No, no, no masaje el ministro." We all broke out in laughter; it was the release we needed. We later figured out that he has several jobs. He is a Nurse Assistant at a hospital, also freelances for a minister, helping with local contractors for the construction of a new church and he is an aspiring painter.

Dear "Massage Therapists",

Please refrain from telling your clients the following, especially right before their massages.

a) You are late because you simply forgot.
b) You have multiple dayjobs and giving massages is what you do to earn a few extra bucks.
c) You are exhausted because you just came from your multiple dayjobs.


(Pop!) We needed to open a bottle of champagne before heading out. We're still tired but a little less cranky now. Can’t believe we'll be leaving this beautiful city in just two days. We decided to check out the "New" milonga Eduardo(the taxi dancer) mentioned, as he promised to meet us there so he could give me my video. I was under the impression we were going to the grand opening of a new milonga. We soon realized "new" meant "alternative" because the first thing we noticed when we walked in was two men dancing together. As we surveyed the room, we saw many more same sex couples. It was hard to tell at first because everyone looked so androgynous. Yes, it was different but people seemed very relaxed and were having a good time. It was beautiful to watch, especially two men dancing to a slow tango.

Eduardo spotted us right away when we arrived. He came by and we made some small talk. I didn't want to appear rude so I waited a little while before bringing up the subject of the video. When I finally asked him, he casual said to me... "Ohh, I forgot to bring it but I am sure I'll see you both again before you leave." It was so blatantly obvious to me right then that this slime was using the video as bait, just so he could see Malena again. Mind you he runs his taxi dancing business with his girlfriend and just a few nights ago, he told me they were still happily together. Maybe it was obvious how annoyed I was because he didn’t ask me to dance once. Eduardo danced several tandas with Malena and tried to work his "I'm a teacher, let me show you a few things" magic on her, but it didn't quite work this time, as she was fully aware of his unwelcomed advances.

We stayed a little while and danced to nuevo tango with a few tangueros we met from the previous nights. We left there a little upset that we were misled but on the other hand we were glad we had the chance to experience this milonga. We watched a father dancing with his little baby girl. It was adorable to see but babies should really be sleeping at 3am, not dancing to loud music at a milonga. We learned from our maestro that many tangueros there use their babies to impress the tourists.

Ugh! The hell with you Eduardo and your dumb video!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is the girl of the picture? I mean, is her one of you? Because I almost certain I dance with that girl, al least a couple times, in la marshall and in La ideal...

Eva said...

Hi Tanguillo,

I found this photo randomly online. Funny but it actually looks more like two men dancing to me. We're planning another trip to BsAs in a few months and we'd love to have a dance with you then.

besos,
Eva

Eva said...

Ok! just in case that IS a woman, I am changing the photo. ; )

NYC Tango Pilgrim said...

E&M,

I agreed, things at the malls in BA are no bargains. The fancy bakery in front of Alto Palermo mall charges 18 peso for a loaf of bread. It is very expensive for a regular loaf of bread.

For Thursday night, I love Nino Bien! Were you girls at maipu? I didn't like that area much. And this Eduardo is some character.

Eva said...

HI Mr. TP, we were suppose to go to Nino Bien that night but by the time we were done with Saloon Canning, it was kind of late.
We didnt go to Maipu but will definitely try to on our next trip... (possibly in April) Dancing hasn't been the same since we got back and we need another BsAs fix fast.
Can we just climb into your suitcase next month?

NYC Tango Pilgrim said...

Eva,

Both of you are light, so I can put you in my carry-on. :) I am still debating where to stay, Palermo or Recoleta.

Maipu444 on Sat. is quite crowded but has very good vibe. You will probably like it.

I dance less after I came back. I feel that I am losing my straigh long walk and my embrace.

Will be at La Nacional tomorrow. See you girls at the milonga one of these days.

Anonymous said...

That was a woman, I'm sure.
I will be here, let me know and we will share some tangos.
Besos!

Malena said...

When are you leaving, TP? Please dance plenty for us too, we still miss it a lot. I think this is the beginning of a long break, it seems really hopeless...

Tanguillo, if we find ourselves in BsAs some time soon, we'll definitely connect and dance a little.

NYC Tango Pilgrim said...

M,

I am leaving on the Feb.22. You would have to give me the phone number of multi talented Sebastian if i dance for both of you in BsAs. Dancing for three people would need a lot of massage therapy for my feet and body. :)

Hope you can find some joy dancing here. I miss the warm embrace that I was accustomed to, but I am improving in other aspects.

Girls, keep dancing...

Malena said...

Most certainly, TP! We'll send you his info. He is actually good if you want to relax and don't have deep tissue massage in mind (Eva said he was a bit disappointing in that respect). Maybe you can try Sebastian #2 as well :) One condition for you too though - you need to come back to NY, however tough that might be :)
Hopefully we'll see you before your trip.
As to keep dancing, I don't know...
My new year is starting out somewhat sadly as I feel I am loosing something that used to make me so very happy... Hopefully not for good.
Besos!
M

tangocherie said...

Hola chicas!
How refreshing to read your "tango tourist" adventures! I'm so glad you always enjoy BsAs!
I hope one day we meet, but for sure it'll never be at La Viruta!!!
As for your taxi dancer Eduardo, yes, I've seen him operate, and he isn't even a very good dancer. Slimy for sure, and I'm sure Rachel knows all about it.
Please let me know when you are next in town!
In the meantime, muchos besos a las dos!!

Eva Y Malena said...

Hola Tangocherie,

That Eduardo is a piece of work... I don't know how Rachel deals with him. She seemed like a lovely person.

I'm sorry we didn't get to meet on this trip. We had plans to stop by your milonga on the Saturday we arrived but our dance lessons conflicted with the schedule, then we had to leave for our flight the following Sat. ; ( For sure we would love to meet you on our next trip..... maybe in April?

Mucho besos a usted tambien!